Thursday, June 10, 2010

Red Headed Woodpecker


About a week ago the kids and I stopped by the bank and saw one of these flying among the trees near the parking lot. We just sat and watched for about 15 minutes. This bird is one of the most amazing I have seen! I would have loved to have my camera but since I didn't I am borrowing these from the web. Fast forward to Monday on the way to drop the kids off at Vacation Bible School I saw one get hit by a car right in front of me. I prayed for it and asked the kids to pray as well for its safety if not hurt and to not suffer if indeed it had been hit. Tayler wanted me to stop right there bless her heart. I explained I can't just stop in the middle of the road, but that I would go back and check on it and help if I could. I drove back hoping it would be gone. It wasn't! I found it face down in the parking in lot. My mom told me to check just to make sure it wasn't still alive(now u see where my training comes from ;)again no such luck, I picked it up and set it in the grass so that it wouldn't be run over anymore. There wasn't an out of place feather anywhere, he just seemed to be sleeping. I am thankful I had my mom to comfort me on the way home. As she says nature is so cruel! I questioned why I had to see this beautiful creature lose its life. Then thinking further I thought how many people would actually pray or stop? I am unsure of that but I do know that for every animal I see near the road dead or alive I pray and have taught my children to pray as well.
I am very happy to say that when taking the kids to Vacation Bible School this morning I saw another one of these woodpeckers safe on a tree in someones yard. I believe God smiled on me this morning!
http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/678/_/Red-headed_Woodpecker.aspx
Here is a great website I love to go to for identifying birds we have seen.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this is Olivia. I love these birds! My grandmother has them living in the woods all around her house, and I remember seeing them a lot here in town when I was a child, but there don't seem to be as many of them around anymore.

    Sad about the one that was hit by a car.

    And I don't know which bank you use, but a few years ago, I went to my bank on Commerce Street to use the ATM one evening, and while I was sitting there, I saw a quail come out from under the bushes a few feet from my car. I never would have expected to see a quail right in the middle of town like that! Ever since, every time I go back, I look for quail, but haven't seen it again. I can't help but wonder what it was doing there. It didn't seem to feel threatened by me, so maybe someone was raising quail nearby and it escaped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning I saw this bird and was amazed! Most of the Woodpecker's I have seen have a black and white striped back. I do lived in the country and so am hoping to see this bird again. I have all kinds of seeds an suet for the birdies and so possible he will be back.

    ReplyDelete