Thursday, June 10, 2010

Unwanted Visiters

My one tomato plant has had caterpillar droppings around it lately. I have tried to find the culprit numerous times. This afternoon before lunch Tayler and I were looking and I asked her to look with me, and this is what she found. I was shocked and then upon looking further we found eight all together! We have relocated them to another area far away from my plants!

Ceratomia undulosa
seer-a-TOHM-ee-uhmm un-dyou-LOH-suh




The Waved Sphinx Moth
This is what these caterpillars will eventually turn into.
Picture above borrowed from the below website.
http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/cundulos.htm


I was cutting grass near the chicken cages and our one duck stays loose around them, I had Tayler stay out near him to make sure he didn't have a heart attack from the mower being so close. He seemed fine, I went so slow enough that I thought he was going to jump on for a minute. Driving off I heard Tayler yelling what I thought was He's Dead. So my first reaction was great the duck just had a heart attack, then I thought maybe one of the chickens in the cage had died?(all in seconds) I jumped off the mower, got it turned off but it was still rolling! And then I hear SNAKE! Curled up back behind the cages was this Copperhead, right beside where Tayler was sitting! I went and got a shovel and a cooler. I know you are supposed to chop the head off but I was unsure how to get it good without it slithering away or making it suffer. So I just scooped it up under the dirt and put it in the cooler. I called Josh to verify it was a Copperhead and then showed the boys to make sure they knew how to identify one. Ok so here is the part where you say Kristy is just plain nuts and maybe I am but...
I told Josh that I felt this was one of Gods creatures, God created it for a reason and it was at the wrong place at the wrong time but didn't hurt anything so I thought we should set it free. There are tons of mole or mouse holes where it was laying and I am positive it was waiting for dinner. We all hopped in the car and drove about 45 minutes away onto the wildlife management area and let it go. However had it been larger and more threatening we would not have done this! We have seen many snakes since we have here and very few live!

This is after being set free.
Along with the caterpillars, and snake we also have Armadillos and now also a ground hog! Now if you know me you know or even if you don't from the above paragraph that I am totally against killing ANYTHING. However I am so tired of our new lawn mower riding like a three horse wagon, and ankle breaking holes and have given Josh permission to eliminate! It is always interesting around the Jones establishment!

No comments:

Post a Comment